Friday, October 14, 2011

UK Drum Fair

Jeez- where did the year go? I must be the worst blogger ever, with no entries since 2010. My wife Maria has a brain tumor removed in January, has recovered nicely. The 2011 Chicago Drum Show went well and I'm now making final preparations for a new second annual show, the Chicago Musical Instrument Show, set for November 19&20.
The 2011 UK Drum Fair was held Sep 24&25 in Birmingham, England and I found it well worth the trip. If any of you have been considering a visit to this show, next year would be a good time to go; it will be their 10th Annual show with many special guests and events.
I spent a night with Nick Ormrod (Covent Garden Orchestra percussionist, Sabian endorser) and his lovely wife Mary in London on the way to the show and again on the way back. I always learn a lot about the percussion industry when I speak to Nick and I'm pleased to announce that Nick and Mary will be coming to the Chicago Drum Show in 2012.
Winnie Mensink from Amsterdam set up in the space next to mine at the UK Fair and supplemented my meager book inventory with his stock. Thanks, Winnie! The show traffic was good, there were sizable crowds both days. For me, this show is all about networking. It seems that I spend nearly all my time there in very interesting conversations about book projects, drum shows, new and vintage equipment, and percussion history. It was especially nice this year to visit with Bob Henrit (Kinks), Carl Palmer, and Geoff Nicholls. My vote for the favorite new product goes to the remarkable new drum throne at the Silverstone display. This is a high-end throne custom-upholstered in fine leather- check their site at www.drumthrones.co.uk. I hope to be back in 2012 for the anniversary show!

No comments:

Post a Comment